Take a break!
Do you have too many choices? Are you going around and around and around, not knowing what direction to take and where you are going? We have all been there!!
Life can get crazy and busy and feel out of control. We can be hit by unexpected situations that can pull the rug from underneath us.
It is in these times when we can’t seem to make a decision about anything important, let alone what shoes to wear! The main block to having clear thoughts, is our inability to set some time out for ourselves, because we are under the gun with responsibilities and deadlines.
Imagine if you could set aside 10 minutes a day to just sit with your own thoughts and non-thoughts. Imagine if you had 10 minutes spare a day to do nothing but daydream. I can just imagine that right now your laughing and wondering whether I live in a modern society!
It just takes 10 minutes…
I wonder if you woke up 10 minutes early and sat quietly in a serene place and took notice of your body. I wonder if you did this before bed. The problem we have in this society is that we are always doing everything for everyone else and we will make time for them, but we won’t give ourselves 10 minutes. Does that sound right?
The importance of this time is to allow you to be aware of your thoughts and feelings in the now. Again, I hear what you are saying: “the mind never stops”, “I can’t let go of that thought/feeling”, “I don’t want to think about (XYZ) and being busy lets me avoid it”. I understand! Everyone who starts dedicating time to themselves for will find it difficult at first. But trust the many millions of people across the world who take 10 minutes (or more) to re-centre their body and mind, and to build an awareness of themselves.
So here are some tips to help you spend your 10 minutes:
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed
- Wear comfortable clothing so that you are not consistently tugging, scratching, etc.
- If you want to put on some relaxing music (without words), feel free! Also, it doesn’t have to be new age music, it could be your favourite jazz or classical piece. Remember, it is relaxing music on a low volume just to get you into the mood! However, this is not crucial.
- Take deep breaths in through your mouth, hold with your lungs full then gently release and hold with your lungs empty. Repeat this as many times as you need to in order to achieve a sense of stillness. You can close your eyes or keep them open.
- As thoughts pop into your mind, acknowledge them then let them go into the atmosphere like a balloon. This is the part that takes a lot of practice! However, persist and push through it. It really does get easier.
- Once you feel that you mind has quietened, start to notice the feel of the furniture beneath you and feel its texture, notice the fragrance in the air, become aware of the sounds around you. If you are keeping your eyes open, notice the colours and shapes around you. In this step it is about being present and being aware of yourself and your place in the world. There is nothing for you to do here other than be aware. There is no judgement, no criticism, no right, no wrong, it just is. It is a time to just sit with yourself and be aware.
- When you feel ready to return to the world, simply take a few deep breaths and gently stretch your arm and legs.
and… Voila! You have just honoured yourself and made your physical health, mental health and overall wellbeing very happy! You never know, you might be able to (or more accurately, want to) do it more often than once a day or for more that 10 minutes. The sky is the limit.
For more information about meditation or if you have queries or concerns, please feel free in contacting me via email at [email protected]